I am VERY particular about my workout gear. I stick to certain brands for certain products and rarely deviate. The guys at the gym will sometime ask how many pairs of black compression shorts I have and I reply a pair for every day of the week, duh. When I work out I try to keep a healthy balance between functionality, fit and fashion. While I would love to have an adorable workout outfit like you see on Instagram, it’s not always functional. Fantasy vs. reality.
S H O P M Y F A V O R I T E S
Sports Bra — Nike DriFit all the way. I have target (for the price I love Target’s bras), Lululemon, Addidas and VS sports bras, which I like to wear around town and to yoga or lagree, but when it comes to getting down and dirty, Nike DriFit FTW. No back fat spilage and just the right amount of boob suffocation.
Compression Shorts —
1) UNDER ARMOUR compression shorts are quickly becoming my favorite. They aren’t too tight, they give just the right amount of compression without creating love handle spilage. They are light and breathable, but definitely much thinner than any lulu product which took me a while to get used to.
2) Coming in second would definitely be the LULULEMON Train Times 6′ Shorts. These shorts don’t retain as much sweat and definitely add a bit more compression to smooth out the back side and legs. I also really like the length of these shorts. They aren’t too short or too long, you can wear them out with a big t-shirt and people in the coffee shop won’t look at you with judge-y eyes.
1) In the flow crops: My favorite leggings LULULEMON actually discontinued, I love them so much that I scour the internet for them and sometimes can find NWT on E-bay or Poshmark. They are called “In the Flow Crops” the original crops were thin, seamless and OH SO flattering. The second version are a bit thicker, but still just as flattering.
2) High waisted wunder under crops: These babies have been my go to for as long as I can remember. Although they pill over time and show any dog or cat hair, they are my favorite for working out. They stay up (which I like since I never have hand to pull up my pants) and are the most comfortable when moving around the ring.
3) P.E. Nation has amazing leggings: They are rather pricey, but worth the money if you love quality workout clothes that are also trendy and cute. I love the way they feel when they are on … they are silky smooth and v trendy. They also have a decent amount of compression to hold you. The only caveat with these leggings is that I always *!#$ the nylon fabric up when I have my gloves on so I don’t wear these expensive leggings to box because the velcro from my gloves always sticks tot he fabric and pills it.
4) Tory Sport Side Stripe Leggings: These leggings make my daily boxing rotation without hesitation. They we light and comfortable and stay up without me having to tug at them. The only disadvantage to these is they don’t breathe very well.
I never buy a cute work out shirt. Just ain’t me. I usually take old t-shirts and cut them up. If you would like to see a tutorial on how I create my “vintage” sleeveless crop tops comment below!!
1) Running Shoes: Asics all the way. Before I would run in Nike Air’s until my sister ripped me a new one lecturing me how they aren’t meant to run long distances. After the 6th lecture she walked me into an Asics store in NYC and forced me to purchase a pair of running shoes. Let me tell you, LIFE CHANGING. I would never go back to anything else. The gel in sole is so comfy it makes running 7 miles a breeze.
2) Addidas Boxing Shoes: I have short little legs so any tall boxing shoe practically goes up to my knee. I like these boxing shoes because they are flat to the ground and add a tiny but of ankle support without taking up half my leg.
1) Wireless earphones: I can’t live without these. I love being able to shadowbox or run and not have to worry about something sliding or falling off my head.
2) Socks: I am a weirdo and only like certain types of socks. Thickness and sock height can throw me for a loop sometimes. The NIKE socks below are my favorite, they are thin and have a grip so they don’t slip down. PUMA socks at TJ Maxx aren’t bad either and they come in a tri-color pack for $10.00.
3) Backpack: I am still searching for the BEST backpack to hold all my stuff, but for now I made the switch from a bag to a backpack. Based on the amount of *&^$ I lug around the city on a daily basis, it has made a huge difference.